Are you planning a trip to Paris and you are not sure what to pack? Here we prepared guide of what to wear in Paris, for all seasons! Parisians have a great sense of style and are known for their chic fashion. If you follow a few golden rules, you can be just as stylish as they are. Telling stylish we don’t mean no comfort: it is possible to find outfits that are both classy and practical.
DO’s and DON’Ts in Paris
- DON’T wear sport/training clothes. They have nothing to do in the streets of Paris, and Parisians will immediately spot you as a tourist. Avoid sweatpants, workout shorts and tees, and flashy sneakers.
- DON’T wear heels. You are probably going to walk all day long in cobblestone streets. Think about your feet at the end of the day. And forget about flip-flops too, even in summer. They have nothing to do in Paris, and they do not protect your feet.
- DON’T wear lots of flashy colors together, it is not classy.
- DO dress up a little bit classier than you would normally do. But always keeping it simple! Dark colored, slim pants and jeans are a good option, especially ankle length. Pair them with a button-down shirt or a nice blouse.
- DO choose flats. Comfortable ankle boots, loafers or derbies are both stylish and convenient. Sneakers are quite trendy right now among young Parisians, with brands such as Converse, Adidas, Puma… Choose them discreet, white or black, and never pair them with too casual clothes. You can wear your sneakers with some dress.
- DO keep it simple with black and neutral colors, but do accessorize your style! A colored bag, scarf or belt, a bold necklace with a white blouse: details can change everything.
What To Wear in Paris For Each Season
Now that you are familiar with a few basic rules for a Parisian style, let’s see what you can wear in every season. Remember that the weather is quite unpredictable.
Spring is capricious in Paris: in can get really warm and sunny, or rainy and chilly. Pair your ankle boots, derbies or sneakers with comfortable pants. You can wear a nice tee-shirt, buttoned-up shirt or blouse underneath a cotton or light wool sweater. Trench coats are a must in Paris: along with a small umbrella, they are perfect for rainy days. I also like to carry a light scarf in my bag, in case it gets colder in the evening.
Summer in Paris can be suffocating, especially in August. Choose light blouses or nice tee shirts. Yet, avoid flashy tee shirts with letterings, big patterns, or rock band tee shirts: they are not very classy. Go for a skirt! You can never be wrong with a simple, not skinny skirt or dress you can walk with. My favorites are skater dresses: both elegant and comfortable.
Accessories are very important during the summer! You definitely need a hat: choose a straw one, wide enough to protect your face from the sun. And do not forget your sunglasses, so that you can hide your eyes and play it mysterious…
Pay attention to the fabrics! Synthetic fabrics like polyester or viscose are not breathable, and will, therefore, make you sweat more. White cotton or linen are my favorites when it gets really hot.
Autumn is a nice season to see Paris with yellow trees and falling leaves, but the skies will mainly be gray. Although September is sometimes warm and sunny, the last months of the year can be really chilly and rainy. Pack several sweaters, both light ones, and very warm ones. You will also need a coat: a well chosen, discreet parka (khaki, black, maroon or gray) will keep you warm and trendy.
Do not forget to pack a scarf or two! I advise you to have a discreet one, gray or black, that will go with every outfit. You also can bring a bold one, with colors or patterns, to add a joyful note to your autumn look. Finally, bring waterproof shoes.
My personal tip: the «ciré» is a must this year among young Parisians. You can go for a bold yellow that brings light to a gray day, or a more discreet navy blue. They protect you from the rain, give you a very French but not caricatural look, and last a lifetime.
Although we rarely have snow, winter is quite cold in Paris. Think about layering! You can wear a buttoned-up shirt underneath a very warm sweater, with a long warm coat. Grey or black knee-length wool coats are a must in Paris, as they are convenient and very elegant. Accessorize your cold day’s outfit with gloves and a scarf. Pompom caps are also becoming fashionable again!
Protect your feet with a thick pair of socks and leather boots. Any flat black or brown boots are alright, but never bring your pair of Uggs. I know they are warm and comfortable, but you will never see a Parisian wearing them.
My personal tip: Pack thermal underwear! You can easily find light but very warm tops to wear underneath a shirt or sweater (or both!). They are my all-time favorites to stay warm but stylish, and not disappear underneath four layers of wool sweaters!